Title Sequence Clips

 I have never taken in how much detail goes into an opening sequence of a movie. It is amazing how much the artist of the opening sequence puts forth into it to make a great first impression of the movie. I can now see that the opening sequence is one of the most important parts of a movie because it gives a first impression of what the movie is about, and in a lot of cases, the audience is able to make a general opinion on the movie before it even starts. The article “First Frames: Titles in the Digital Realm” states that title design was first pioneered back in the 1950s. This is impressive to me because the fact that they were started all the way back in 1950 shows just how important the opening scene of a movie is. That means that the art of titles and opening scenes has found a lot of success in many, many movie that date back all the way to the 1950s.

 I want to give examples of opening scenes from real movies. My first example is going to be from the movie “Scream”. Scream is a horror based around high school students. The movie starts out with the word scream in all capitols in a bold, red color with what looks like blood dripping off of the letters. I thought this was a very effective start to a horror movie because it gives you the feeling of, WOW, this is going to be a scary movie. My next example is going to be from the movie “2001: Space Odysey.” I wanted to use this as an example because it has kind of an odd opening sequence. The movie starts out with a black screen and suspenseful music in the background. Then, the sun starts rising out of nowhere! This was an ingenious opening scene because it really gets the audience thinking and makes them really want to keep watching. I also like Pulp Fiction’s opening scene because it is so hysterical. It starts out as two, regular people having a breakfast, then they get to talking bout robbing places. The lady is especially funny because she is so calm and nice, then hops on the table and starts screaming and announcing that they are robbing restaurant. This is a great example of how movies use opening scenes are used to reel the audience in. I think this is self-explanatory that everyone likes a funny start to a movie! These are just some movies that I would like to share with you because they really made me think about opening scenes, which I have never done before.

I also didn’t know that the art of title design is used in media other than movies, such as commercials. I found this out in the article “First Frames: Titles in the Digital Realm” where it explains how important title design and digital typography is.

 I still don’t know if I will do a movie or a magazine for my project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magazine Cover Review